Arasta Street

One of the most important streets within the commercial centre of the Walled City, Arasta Street is a bustling shopping area dominated by textile and shoe outlets. Read more..

Bedestan (St. Nicolas Church)

Bedestan is a 14th century Gothic style church, located to the south of Selimiye Mosque (Ayia Sophia Cathedral). Read more..

Bedestan Statue Museum

The museum is housed in one of two rooms, adjacent to the eastern part of Bedestan, which were constructed during the British Colonial rule of Cyprus. Read more..

Buyuk Hamam (Grand Bath/ St. George of Latin's Church)

St. George Church was a Latin church from Lusignan period, in the Middle Ages. Then it was adapted to a Bath in Ottoman period. Read more..

Buyuk Han (Great Inn)

This traditional style inn  was constructed in 1572 by Muzaffer Pasha, the first Ottoman Governor of Cyprus. Today, “Great Inn” is a home of many small antiques/ craft shops and arts galleries, where visitors can find all manner of traditional Cypriot souvenirs and handicrafts.   Read more..

Chapter House

 

Chapter House is a two-storey building on the southeastern side of the St. Sophia Cathedral (Selimiye Mosque), which was built in the 14th century. Read more..  

Kumarcilar Han (Gambler's Inn)

 

Kumarcilar Han (Gambler’s Inn), located at Asmaaltı Square, was built towards the end of 17th century and is much smaller and modest when compared with Buyuk Han (Great Inn). Read more..

Print

Buyuk Han (Great Inn)

Posted in Places to See

 

This traditional-style inn was constructed in 1572 by Muzaffer Pasha, the first Ottoman Governor of Cyprus.  Buyukhan is a very beautiful stone building with two storeys built around a central courtyard. Of the 67 rooms, those on the upper floor were originally used as lodging for travelers. These are independent of each other and feature individual fireplaces with octagonal chimneys. The rooms on the ground floor were used as shops, storerooms and offices. Stables for the travelers horses, mules, donkeys and camels were located on the outside of the building. In the interior courtyard there is octagonal mosque (masjid) used for prayers, with a fountain below. Unusually, the inn has two entrances, the main entrance to the inn is in Asmaaltı Street (in the east), however there is also one in the west.

Since the beginning of  old colonial days, the British used the inn as Nicosia Central Prison until 1895. It then became a residence for poor families until 1963, when some unsuccessful restoration attempts were carried out.  In 1995, an extensive restoration project was initiated. The restoration project was completed in 2003 and the inn became one of the greatest contributions to the social and cultural life in the northern part of Nicosia Downtown.

With its great historical and architectural value Buyukhan also performs an important role in the cultural and social life of the old city. Today, “Great Inn”, which is also used as an information centre, is a home of many small antiques/ craft shops and arts galleries, where visitors can find all manner of traditional Cypriot souvenirs and handicrafts. Small scale performances and cultural activities are also taking place in this inn. In addition, it has an authentic Turkish Cypriot coffee shop, and a café/restaurant where fresh local cuisine is served, and a wine bar where homemade wine is served occasionally with live music. 

 

Municipal Market

Nicosia Municipal Market is an important landmark in the Walled City. It has been a market place for centuries, firstly as an open market and then covered since 1932. When it was constructed in 1932 it is said to be equivalent to the present day’s superstores. Read more..

Selimiye Mosque (St. Sophia Cathedral)

Selimiye Mosque was originally built in Gothic style by the Lusignans as a cathedral dedicated to Saint Sophia (Ayia Sophia). The construction of the cathedral took 118 years and was finally completed in 1326. Lusignan kings were crowned here. Read more..

Sultan II Mahmut Library

The Sultan II Mahmut Library was built in 1829 by the then Governor of Cyprus, Ali Ruhi. It is located near the east entrance of Selimiye Mosque and is a fine example of classical Ottoman architecture, with its large domed room and twin-domed arcade. Read more..