Arasta Street

One of the most important streets within the commercial centre of the Walled City, Arasta Street is a bustling shopping area dominated by textile and shoe outlets. Read more..

Bedestan (St. Nicolas Church)

Bedestan is a 14th century Gothic style church, located to the south of Selimiye Mosque (Ayia Sophia Cathedral). Read more..

Bedestan Statue Museum

The museum is housed in one of two rooms, adjacent to the eastern part of Bedestan, which were constructed during the British Colonial rule of Cyprus. Read more..

Buyuk Hamam (Grand Bath/ St. George of Latin's Church)

St. George Church was a Latin church from Lusignan period, in the Middle Ages. Then it was adapted to a Bath in Ottoman period. Read more..

Buyuk Han (Great Inn)

This traditional style inn  was constructed in 1572 by Muzaffer Pasha, the first Ottoman Governor of Cyprus. Today, “Great Inn” is a home of many small antiques/ craft shops and arts galleries, where visitors can find all manner of traditional Cypriot souvenirs and handicrafts.   Read more..

Chapter House

 

Chapter House is a two-storey building on the southeastern side of the St. Sophia Cathedral (Selimiye Mosque), which was built in the 14th century. Read more..  

Kumarcilar Han (Gambler's Inn)

 

Kumarcilar Han (Gambler’s Inn), located at Asmaaltı Square, was built towards the end of 17th century and is much smaller and modest when compared with Buyuk Han (Great Inn). Read more..

Print

Buyuk Hamam (Grand Bath/ St. George of Latin's Church)

Posted in Places to See

St. George Church was a Latin church (1309) built in the Lusignan period, in the Middle Ages. Then it was adapted to a Bath in the beginning of the Ottoman period (1571-1590). Only the ornamented arched doorway of the Church has lasted to this day and is still being used as an entrance gate for the Bath. The Bath, as all classic baths, has an undressing room, cooling and warming sections. The bathhouse consists of a reception area with a wooden roof supported by two pointed arches with divans along the walls and an octagonal cistern in the centre. After the reception area there are two smaller entrée rooms with four recesses and then the vaulted “caldarium” (hot room) with recesses and a stone bench at the centre. The “caldarium” extends to two small side chambers and light is provided by the glass on the bell-shaped cupola.

Municipal Market

Nicosia Municipal Market is an important landmark in the Walled City. It has been a market place for centuries, firstly as an open market and then covered since 1932. When it was constructed in 1932 it is said to be equivalent to the present day’s superstores. Read more..

Selimiye Mosque (St. Sophia Cathedral)

Selimiye Mosque was originally built in Gothic style by the Lusignans as a cathedral dedicated to Saint Sophia (Ayia Sophia). The construction of the cathedral took 118 years and was finally completed in 1326. Lusignan kings were crowned here. Read more..

Sultan II Mahmut Library

The Sultan II Mahmut Library was built in 1829 by the then Governor of Cyprus, Ali Ruhi. It is located near the east entrance of Selimiye Mosque and is a fine example of classical Ottoman architecture, with its large domed room and twin-domed arcade. Read more..